Are you getting bored of just plain drinking with friends? We mean, catching up with your buddies is great but sometimes, talking about the same things are getting tiresome. Because of this, you may want to think of new ideas to spice up your drinking sessions. In this article, we will share tips on one of the most exciting drinking games that you can do with your friends.
Some famous drinking games are mostly about who’s the fastest drinker in the pack. Beer can be chugged in many ways; from the glass, can, or even a frisbee! Today, we will be focusing on drinking beer from a can using the shotgun method. Here are the 8 steps on how to shotgun a beer as told by an American college bro – a professional at this craft.
- 1 8 Steps on How to Shotgun a Beer
- 2 No Sharp Objects Available? Use Your Thumb
- 3 Other Shotgun Techniques
- 4 Extra Tips When Shotgunning Beer?
- 5 Ready to Shotgun a Beer?
8 Steps on How to Shotgun a Beer
1. Grab a beer
You have guessed the first step, right? Grab the beer of your choice because we think that chugging your favorite beer is the most beautiful thing that can happen in this game. And yeah, winning the game too!
2. Use the right tools
A key or knife will help you puncture the can easily. If both are not available, you can use any sharp object to make the hole. Just be careful not to puncture the can too hard. Some of our buddies prefer to use keys because it is accessible most of the time.
3. Horizontally hold the beer can
Place it on top of a table, and this will move the air bubble inside to its side. Also, less beer will be spilled when you puncture the can.
4. Check where you will puncture the can
We would say that 1 inch from the bottom of the can is your safest spot. The aluminum in this part of the can is found to be soft, helping you puncture the can easily.
5. Place your thumb on the sweet spot and tilt the can
Continue to press on it until you feel a pocket of air inside the can. Then push the can slightly with your thumb to leave a dent and know where you will puncture it.
6. Get your key or knife and puncture the can
Puncture it swiftly on the dent you made, so it pops a hole. Expect that some beer and foam might spill out of the hole.
7. Make the hole bigger
Place the key or knife inside the hole and make it bigger by making a circular motion. Create the hole as big as a size of a quarter. Ensure that the edges are bent inward to avoid cutting yourself when you are drinking the beer.
8. Drink the beer
Place your mouth over the hole and tilt the can towards you. Let gravity do the work and pop the tab open with your other hand. Keep your throat open and let the beer flow freely.
No Sharp Objects Available? Use Your Thumb
When there are no keys, knife, or any sharp objects available, shotgunning a beer is still possible – you can use your thumb to puncture the hole. This is an impressive trick to learn, showing off your superhuman skills to those who do not think it is possible!
To do this:
- Hold the beer horizontally
- Place your thumb 1 inch away from the bottom of the can. Use your index and middle fingers to support your grip
- Press the can (imaging squeezing a grape)
Be careful while doing this trick though since your thumb might get cut as it penetrates through the can.
Other Shotgun Techniques
Find that interesting?
Well, we have more interesting shotgunning techniques that you can try with your buddies:
- On your head – smash the can into your forehead and when it bursts, chug from the top
- Snake – squeeze the beer can between your legs (you can also try your biceps), chug the beer once it explodes
- Gorilla – crash the can using your closed fists and chug the remaining beer
Extra Tips When Shotgunning Beer?
Here are some extra tips on shotgunning a beer faster and more efficiently:
- Aluminum Can – Make sure that the beer can is made from aluminum. This makes the can easier to puncture whether you are using a tool or just your thumb.
- Choose a light beer – Heavy or flavored beer will be more difficult to drink quickly.
- Push Hard – When using your thumb, push real hard, and the can will open. The hole made by punching a hole using your thumb should already be enough. No need to enlarge it.
- Suck – To shotgun a beer fast, you can try sucking the beer from the hole using your mouth.
- Drink “Responsibly” – Using the shotgun method might get you drunk faster so drink moderately. Once done, dispose of the can responsibly.
Ready to Shotgun a Beer?
Drinking your favorite beer using the shotgun method sounds fun. And now that you know how to shotgun a beer from this guide, you can now fully dominate in future drinking games with this technique.
Now, I get it. Dominating your friends in drinking games is fun and all (and it is!), but that hangover the next day is not fun, especially when you’re in your 30s and 40s.
Luckily I got the perfect solution for you: Thrive+ After-Alcohol Aid.
This is my go-to product to cure my hangovers (definitely a must if you’ve shotgun a few too many beers). And believe me… I’ve tried them all… I pop a few pills in before bed and feel energized the next day. If you need a cure for your hangovers, this is it.